Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Author Interview: Katie McGarry - Pushing The Limits


http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9mr8t7XDQwY/T_7gQrn7GxI/AAAAAAAADI0/GWTlR2yB6dk/s1600/0812+Pushing+The+Limits+FINAL.JPG Oh, you've heard of that little ol' book that's generated quite the buzz lately? Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry has been cementing a name for itself, with incredible reviews by some of the best bloggers in the 'sphere. Today, thanks to the too-amazing-for-my-lowly-mortal-words, HarlequinTEEN Australia and Morey Media, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to pick Katie's brains!

So whether you've read the book or are pawing at the screen every time you see the cover posted, read on to find out more about the author who has everyone talking. I especially love her answer to the last question!! Aww! <3 (And thanks to the awesome folk on twitter who helped inspire a couple questions!).
________________________________________________________________________

 Introducing the lady of the hour... 
KATIE MCGARRY!



Was it difficult channeling the differing personalities/emotional baggage with Noah and Echo or did writing from each perspective come easily to you?

Katie: Echo and Noah were definitely challenging characters to write. Their hurts became my hurts and I often cried while writing them. At the same time, the two of them could make me laugh, especially when they were together. Echo and Noah have unbelievable chemistry and I love their banter.

Some writers are strict with plotting, others let the story flow naturally. How did Pushing the Limits develop? Was it all planned from the beginning or did anything take you by surprise while writing?

Katie: I plotted Echo and Noah’s journey. The ending happened as planned, but there was a pivotal moment in the book I had plotted that Noah adamantly disagreed with. I spent days trying to get him to do what I wanted, but he dug his feet into the ground and gave me writers block.

I eventually gave in and let him go where he wanted. I’m glad I did. Once Pushing the Limits has been out for a bit, I hope to let my readers know what Noah refused to do.

So often counsellors and social workers are painted in a very stereotypical light and it's true, there are some less-than-stellar ones out there, but there are also some gems like Mrs. Collins. I love that the approach you took with her! Did you consciously set out to write her this way? Was she modelled on anyone you know?

Katie: Yes, I purposely wrote Mrs. Collins they way I did. She isn’t based upon anyone I know. If anything she is bits and pieces of adults in my life that listened to me and helped me out when I was a teenager.

Will we be seeing lots more contemporary from you or do you have any plans to tap your fingers into other genres?

Katie: Right now, I’m a contemporary type of gal. I’m currently working on revisions for DARE YOU TO, a companion novel to PUSHING THE LIMITS. DARE YOU TO follows the story of Beth, a secondary character from PTL.

What are some of your favourite good girl/bad boy romances? (fiction or movies!)

Katie: Casablanca is one of my favorite movies and I love anything by Simone Elkeles.

Do you go for the seemingly "bad" boy who can push your limits in real life, or do you prefer the "good" guy?

Katie: Funny you ask. When I first met my husband, I thought he was the bad boy. He was mysterious and his outside appearance screamed that he’d be problems for me. As we got to know each other and as we eventually fell in love, I discovered that he actually is the “good” guy. Honestly, he’s the best.

Find Pushing The Limits and the author extraordinaire herself at:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9mr8t7XDQwY/T_7gQrn7GxI/AAAAAAAADI0/GWTlR2yB6dk/s1600/0812+Pushing+The+Limits+FINAL.JPG
SO WRONG FOR EACH OTHER...AND YET SO RIGHT.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with “freaky” scars on her arms. Even Echo can’t remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.

But when Noah Hutchins--the smoking hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket--explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo’s world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she’ll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

20 comments:

  1. I love this interview Brodie! Pushing the Limits is one of my favorite debuts of the year and while my ARC came with an interview with Katie McGarry in the back, I'm glad to see that yours was different and unique! Fantastic questions! :D

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I'm desperate to read Pushing the Limits- it sounds so good! You asked really great questions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE WITH THE LINKING TO ALL THE REVIEWS <3 You are so awesome.

    And n'awwww, the last answer is adorable :) Love it <3 I also love how connected Katie seems with her characters! It's really nice to read about and hopefully I'll feel some of that when I finally get to PtL!

    I'm getting Simone Elkeles vibes from the summary! Any justification in that? :)

    Thanks for the awesome interview to the both of you! <3

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely interview, Brodie. McGarry shows a genuine affection for her characters which you just can't fake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SQUEEE! I love this interview. I love anything to do with PTL, period LOL. I'm really looking forward to finding out what Noah refused to do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. EEEEEEEEEE! I LOVES YOUR THE INTERVIEW! And your linkering of the reviews with the letters and the BRODIE IS CLEVERNESS IN PERSON FORM... wait... that's assuming that... you're a person O___O

    Let me see... no photos... kind of too perfectly awesome... no physical address... you're... you're like a COMPUTER. YOU'RE IN THE COMPUTER. YOU'RE BREAKING MY BRAIN. THAT, OR MAYBE YOU'RE SOME KIND OF SHINY THING... I'd say an angel, but maybe the opposite would be more accurate.

    SERIOUSLY THOUGH. YOUR INTERVIEW. I LOVES! I loved hearing about Ms Collins (I kind of loved her. Even more because she was a total whackjob who seriously shouldn't have been allowed on the road) and Katie's husband! SQUEE! I LOVE REAL LIFE LOVE STORIES *is all warm and gooey on the insides* ^__^

    Such awesome questions and such amazing answers! ♥

    P.S. I HEART SUGAR AND CAFFEEINE AND PROCRASTINATING WHEN I SHOULD BE WRITING A REVIEW ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview. I'm reading this one now and really enjoying it! I can't wait to get to know more about Beth in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great interview! I love what Katie said about Echo and Noah - Echo and Noah have unbelievable chemistry and I love their banter. This is so true! I loved their relationship with each other and cried nearly as much as I laughed. Sometimes both at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME INTERVIEW! You know how much I LOVED Pushing the Limits! Seriously can't wait for the companion novel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was SUCH a sweet interview!! <3 I've yet to read Pushing the Limits (but I'm running out of patience to get a copy, definitely) and this interview just made me really like this author already! ^o^ Those were great answers! Thanks for sharing this interview!!!

    |Vivian|

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome interview!!! I can not wait to read this one! I have heard wonderful things about it. And I just love the author's answer to the last question! What a sweet love story!!! Also it's great to hear the author will be writing more contemporaries! It is always nice to read some fun contemporaries! Thanks for the awesome interview :-)


    Following your blog! Feel free to visit my blog.
    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview! I'm really looking forward to Dare to You, I'd love to read Beth's story. And I really liked Mrs Collins :). Love the answer to the final question - all the best bad boys are actually good guys :P.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am I the only one who HASN'T read anything by Simon Elkeles? Awesome interview, Brodie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. THE ONLY PERSON IN THE ENTIRE OF ALL THE WOOOOORLDS :D
      Heheheh :D

      Delete
  14. Great interview! I love that Mrs Collins is made up of different adults, she is such a memorable character!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome interview, Brodie! Ooh, the more I read about this book, the more I'm dying to read it! It sounds SO GOD DAMNED GOOD! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fantastic interview! Definitely liked seeing into the mind of Katie! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this book so much! Thanks so much for the interview Brodie and Katie, I love reading anything and everything about this book. I'm dying to read Beth's story, I can't wait for Dare to Release so I can spend more time with her. And a huge YAY for Mrs. Collins, I adored her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting interview, and I've heard such positive things about the book; can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting interivew, and it's totally made me want to pick up the book! I am off to read your review next!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates