Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: Losing Lila by Sarah Alderson

Author: Sarah Alderson
Release Date: August 2nd 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Add it: Goodreads
Thanks to: the amazing Simon & Schuster for the review copy!
Alex and Lila are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of the Unit, which somehow is managing to track their every move. Whilst Alex is determined to keep Lila safe and her ability secret at any cost, Lila’s only thought is of finding a way back to California so that she can rescue her brother and mother from the military base where they’re being held.

Struggling to control both her growing power and her deepening feelings for Alex, Lila decides the time has finally come to stop running and start fighting. Together with Alex, Demos, and the people she’s come to think of as family, Lila plans not just to save her brother and mother, but to completely destroy the Unit and everything it stands for.

But the plan requires Lila to return alone to California, make friends with the enemy, and to risk losing everything - Alex, her family, and even her life.

It's no secret I love Sarah Alderson and her crazy addictive novels, so my expectations were high for Losing Lila... but apparently not high enough, because this book blew me away far more than I was anticipating! Sarah did not waste any time in delivering adrenaline-pumping chase scenes, run-ins with crime lords and SKINNY DIPPING all within the first 50 pages. Given what happened at the end of Hunting Lila, Alex and Lila are on the run from The Unit. They get involved in some crazy shit. They then meet up with Demos and the team again and get involved in more crazy shit. And so the cycle goes on until you're about to burst from the epicness of it all. Secondary characters like Jack, Suki, Nate and Key shine just as brightly as Lila and Alex. We get to explore their personalities on a far deeper level, I can't explain how much I grew to love them or how often the likes of Suki and Nate had me giggling!

Despite how much I clearly loved this book, there was one major element that I hated and she goes by the name of Lila Loveday. I adored her in Hunting Lila, we shared a similar goal of wishing to attain the gorgeous boy she loved since childhood. But now that she has him, she goads the reader with her ability to admire Wakeman's naked body, glistening with water under the oh-so-flattering-to-his-marine-issued-abs moonlight; or else feeling his hot and steamy breath in her ear. THEN she has the nerve to recount these memories in her mind, thus taunting poor, mind-invading Suki with what Suki can't have. What. A. B*tch. WORST CHARACTER EVER. ZAP HER WITH A PSY GUN! BZZZZ. *zaps her with a psy gun*

*cough*

Well, alright, maybe that's just my insane jealousy talking. Apart from that small non-issue, I loved Lila so much more this time around. I swear, every single character has been 90% amplified with pure, undiluted AWESOMENESS. Lila really blossoms into one damn badass heroine. She's growing into her abilities and testing her limits with surprising results. She's just as stubborn and independent as ever, and making risky, but admirable sacrifices for the ones she loves. I understood her every decision, her every emotion and not once did she disappoint me. Put simply, this girl ROCKS.

I was aware of every rippled curve in Alex Wakeman's beautiful chest before cracking open this stunning sequel, but clearly this marine is a master at deceit, because either I was hopped up on hormones while reading or Lieutenant Wakeman got a HELL OF A LOT SEXIER. As the ever intelligent (but not the author, they're just so equally awesome they share a name) Sarah pointed out to me while reading, it's likely because he's a more willing participant in the relationship compared to the first book. Which means Alex is doing just as much of the tongue waggling as Lila. Even amongst the non-stop action, there is enough steam rising from the pages to alert your local fire department five blocks away. But unlike your standard air-polluting house fire, this is one steam-fest you're begging to inhale more of.

What I especially loved about Losing Lila is that there is never a lull in the story, it's go go go from beginning to end. There is always a plan in motion or sneaky twist lurking around the corner to constantly keep you wide-eyed and alert. I said it about Hunting Lila, but it bears repeating: this will make an AMAZING movie. The tightly woven plot doesn't even need to be re-written for script, everything leaps off the page in HD visuals, just grab a camera and press shoot. Sarah so effortlessly draws you into Lila's shoes, so you're experiencing every bump, blast and sensual touch along with her.

Losing Lila is EVERYTHING I hope for in a novel: toe-curling romance, high-octane action scenes, shocking twists and laugh-out-loud humour. This is, without question, Sarah Alderson's best work yet. I hope she returns to these characters one day in the future, because I am so not ready to part ways with them. If you've yet to read Hunting Lila, I HIGHLY urge you to run to your nearest bookstore and grab a copy of the sequel. And if you have read it already, regardless of whether you liked it or not, bump Losing Lila to the top of your wishlist because you're in for a delightful surprise.

5/5 Golden Apples!


Be sure to tune in for the amazing Losing Lila Blog Tour, to begin August 2nd!

21 comments:

  1. YES YES YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Oh goodness, Brodie, I don't think any of your reviews before have ever made me want to laugh so hard! EVIL LILA LOVEDAY ^___^

    "...was hopped up on hormones while reading or Lieutenant Wakeman got a HELL OF A LOT SEXIER."

    *snort* I misread this as 'while RIDING Lieutenant Wakeman.' I DIED. THIS IS ME COMMENTING FROM BEYOOOOOOOND THE GRAAAAAAAAVE!

    AND OH MY GOODNESS. Can you IMAGINE Lila: the movie? It would be AMAZING. For ALL the reasons you described! It's just so... so... EVERYTHING! :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. *claps*

    You make me want to reread it all over again. I FREAKING ADORE YOUR REVIEW. It's funny and badass and very hyper. YES to everything you said!

    What. A. B*tch. WORST CHARACTER EVER. ZAP HER WITH A PSY GUN! BZZZZ. *zaps her with a psy gun* buahahaha, poor Lila!

    And a Lila movie? YES PLEASE. That would be wayyy badass. If it ever happens (which I'm sure it will, there's already interest in it) we should all get together to watch it! How awesome would that be ;D

    P.S - Sarah should be locked up. She's a danger to society. Just look at the ^^ comment... *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I THINK BECCA SHOULD BE LOCKED UP... you know, in my prison with all my favorite, adorable bloggers. There's coffee and chocolate milk on tap, and a stable or pretty book boys ^__^

      Delete
    2. Sarah, you HAVE to start being not so awesome because SERIOUSLY. When I meet you, which will be soon (positive thinking) I will not be able to control myself. I'm going to squish you and huggle you and bolt and run you down. You'll come out looking like a pancake if you don't start acting like Lila (who in Brodie's words is A. B*tch. WORST CHARACTER EVER.) Follow in Lila's footsteps ;)

      P.S - YES to a stable of pretty book boys... Ok, I just of something and... *runs away* Hanging out with you guys too long has done things to my brain ;)

      Delete
  3. Seriously these books need to be made into a movie RIGHT NOW because that's what I saw in my head . . . this book running like an actual movie! I totally agree with everything you said in your review and it was totally go, go, go with the action in this book which I LOVED! But yeah, I have to admit I think I loved Hunting Lila a little more than the sequel, though the sequel totally measured up to my very high expectations . . . so I can't wait for book 3 now and hopefully we get some more hottie Alex and his naked chest! haha.

    Anyway great review, Brodie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brodie, I am one of the few people who haven't read Hunting Lila yet. My excuse is that It is not sold in Barnes and Nobles and on amazon. But I plan to find someone who has a copy, borrow it and read it. and later Losing Lila.

    I love no stop action books full of surprises too, so I'm sure I'll like the series, once I find it. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BRODIE, TU EST PARFAIT and your reviews are PARFAIT et MAGNIFIQUE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I've gone crazy on Sarah's review and I am DOUBLE CRAZY after reading your review because it's EPIC. I completely agree with everything you said. I loved Hunting Lila so to think that I loved Losing Lila even more than the first book was quite impossible for me but I did! :P AND ALEX! LILA! I LOVE THESE TWO SO MUCH. Sarah Alderson is such an AMAZING writer and I absolutely can't wait to read her next books ;)

    Lila, Alex and we LOVE YOU AND YOUR REVIEWS, Brodie! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. *falls over self* YOU DID NOT. I can see you getting so jelly over Lila. BUT REALLY WHO ISN'T. I am, secretly. Or not so secretly at the moment. xD Imagine those muscles, shining in water or... honey, the lickable kind. *fans self* Oh, boy.

    *dances around the room* So happy to hear that this one is SO DANG GOOD. Freaking amazing Liz ordered this one for my birthday and this review just makes me want to cheer away the days until it gets here! YES. So happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Broooodie! Seriously. Does each and every single one of your reviews have to be so awesome?! Give us less talented review writers (read: me) a chance to look good for once, will you? :P

    Awesome review! God, Losing Lila was just SO amazing! I loved it! But :( to the end of it all. If there won't be another Lila book, I might just cry. It would suck so much. But YAY for there being a movie. I demand one! Yes, demand! Cheers for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GAAAAHH, what an awesome, raving review! >_< This is absolutely killing me because I've yet to read the amazing Hunting Lila I could only some of your review and understand it, but Vivi gets the big message, don't worry! This is a ridiculously good book! <3 Heck, I think I'll just go out and by my own copy right now....

    Fantastic review, Brodie! I promise I'll come back and re-read it more carefully after reading the first book myself XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one Brodie! I really liked Hunting Lila and while I had a few issues with Lila, I'm excited to read Losing Lila and you've just made the wait even more unbearable! Amazing review! :D

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  11. AHHH. I NEED THIS BOOK. I love books that are go go go, it means there's never a boring page. Plus, ALEX AND LILA. Now that they have admitted their feelings and are actually together...*eyebrow waggle*. I can't WAIT to read about them both again. I just can't wait for this book! Awesome review. You have officially made me even MORE excited for this book than I was already, which is saying something :P.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! This WOULD make an amazing movie! Someone need to get on it! :D I'm SOOO glad you loved this book too, Brodie! I loved how action-packed and fast-paced it was and agree that all the characters were so much better. I didn't think I could like Alex any more than I did in HL, but that changed as soon as we hit the SKINNY DIPPING scene. ;) I love Sarah for including that. And of course, Lila was so much cooler in this book too! I'm said to see them go now. :') Brilliant review as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. AHHHHH! Great review!!!! I STILL need to read Hunting Lila!!! I feel like the last person on the planet who still needs to read it. Anyway it sounds SO totally awesome. I seriously don't know what to say except that now I want to read it even more then I did before!!!! The romance in Losing Lila sounds SO sweet and the characters...well let's just say I seriously want to meet all of them. Thanks for sharing.

    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  14. YES! A MOVIE! Definitely.

    And lol at your review. Why have none of you girls had cardiac arrest after reading about all these guys you call sex. I’m certainly happy that I won’t go under.

    You said my review was awesome. BUT HELL GIRL YOU ARE MORE AWESOME... hypocrite! HYP-O-CRITE!!! Seriously. SERIOUSLY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. *crash tackle hugs*

    Damn you and Sarah! This book. I NEED IT. This review. BRILLIANT.

    Seriously, even reading Alex's name makes me daydream yet,
    "either I was hopped up on hormones while reading or Lieutenant Wakeman got a HELL OF A LOT SEXIER"... THIS IS GOING TO BE ME.

    Oh, Brodie, this review is amazing and hilarious and it makes me want Losing Lila in my hands this instant! And I agree, a Lila movie would be amazing, THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow! Alex sounds even hotter in this boo (is it possible?!!) Can't wait to get started on it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can certainly tell that you LOVED this book, Brodie! I'm really glad you enjoyed it more than HL, I am really hoping I do too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW MY HOLY COW!! Im dying to get this one. I hope my pre-ordered copy ships sooon because now your review... oh GOD!! it left me drooling and swooning and ready for those amazing action scenes!! and OH Alex oh YEAH!! btw, I waswell aware of that gorgeous chest too, but good lord... you review totally is making me think delicious stuff about this hottie =9
    Amazing review!!! thnx so much for sharing =D

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really liked this follow up to ‘Hunting Lila.’ A group of teens with special abilities on the run from a maniacal Military Contract Organization. Winner, winner chicken dinner.

    Have you viewed Alaska Fishing Lodge Sitka AK

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates